Jun 2, 2016

Lingerie Wars by Janet Elizabeth Henderson

This book is a five star read. It isn't a classic or groundbreaking, it is just damned good. Henderson knows what she is doing and does it well.

Rating

I bought this when it was offered for free on Kindle, but I would have actually paid the 4 bucks it's asking now if I had known how good it was. That is my highest compliment, I would have paid money. I'm the Queen of Freebies, especially when it comes to books. I'm on two different mailing lists for free e-books, and I manually search myself when they are giving me links to stuff I already own. But back to the book

Synopsis: Logan is a British military man, purr. He has dedicated his life to leaving his hippie upbringing behind him, but when his sister makes a muck of the knicker store he bought for her it's big brother to the rescue, yet again. Kirsty is a model with a tragic past, who comes back to her hometown to heal and lick her wounds. She tries to make her living at the only thing she knows--lingerie. There's only room for one lingerie store in the little town of Inventary. It's England vs Scotland in this Lingerie War.

World: The best part of this book is the world. The little Scottish town of Invertary contains quirky characters, beautiful vistas, and lots of love. There is an underwear gnome, a house breaking group of knitters, and of course Logan and Kirsty.

Pacing:The correct mix of humorous scenes, emotional angst, tension filled climax, and emotional growth. I devoured it because one thing seamlessly blended into the other with no obvious page filler.

Characters: You will fall in love with everyone, except maybe Logan's parents and the bad guy. I want to know more about them I want to read the second book. Rainbow was my biggest annoyance, but I have a feeling in the second book I will grow to love her.

Writing As the old saying goes, "Dying is easy, comedy is hard." Getting a comedic instance to read as funny to someone who has to visualize it takes talent. Henderson has that talent. Her emotional scenes ring true, and her characters are actual people not just character sketches.

Plot Not a unique one by any means, lovers at cross purposes. But even the multi-layered climax doesn't read as a set up, instead it is just a bunch of unique elements that blended together to make a tragedy. Hopefully, I'm not giving too much away, because this books is worth the read.

The Good: Hmm, everything.

The Bad: Rainbow and the villain, but even they serve their respective purposes and don't seem to be unnecessary.

Recommendations

One for The Money by Janet Evanovich

Now, I know Stephanie Plum has gotten a bad rap, and some of it is warranted but not in the first books. The first books are laugh out loud funny with interesting situations. If you've never picked up and read one I highly recommend them. Stephanie is sarcastic, loving, and lovable. Ranger is smoking hot, and Morelli is the bad boy grown to be a good man. And the supporting characters are quirky and cute.

Love, Lies & High Heels by Debby Conrad

Rusty is a rich girl that bounces around the world going from adventure to adventure. Until her dad lets her know he's dying. Luke is foreman of Sam's ranch and his best friend. So when Sam asks him to lie to his estranged daughter Luke goes along with it. Little do they both know that the old man is playing them like a fiddle. Sam's scheme will give them both what they have been looking for without knowing it: a home and someone to come home to. If that is they don't end up killing each other first. Oh, and to sweeten the deal this book is available FREE on Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment